A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, he wordlessly picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.
The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.
The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full.. The students responded with a unanimous ‘yes.’
The professor then produced two Beers from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar effectively filling the empty space between the sand.The students laughed..
‘Now,’ said the professor as the laughter subsided, ‘I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important things—-your family, your children, your health, your friends and your favorite passions—-and if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full. The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house and your car.. The sand is everything else—-the small stuff.
‘If you put the sand into the jar first,’ he continued, ‘there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for life.
If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff you will never have room for the things that are important to you.
Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness.
Spend time with your children. Spend time with your parents. Visit with grandparents. Take your spouse out to dinner. Play another 18. There will always be time to clean the house and mow the lawn.
Take care of the golf balls first—-the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand.
One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the Beer represented. The professor smiled and said, ‘I’m glad you asked.’ The Beer just shows you that no matter how full your life may seem, there’s always room for a couple of Beers with a friend.
via: 10knotes , source: theburiedlife
- helbram reblogged this from oranges-and-pears
- helbram likes this
- oranges-and-pears reblogged this from humpbackpigeons4lyfe
- humpbackpigeons4lyfe reblogged this from babygotbatch
- foroneminute likes this
- lesfleursbrulees likes this
- chemistrysailor likes this
- pimpzaddyb likes this
- formerlycodnob likes this
- itsnotverypunkrockofyou reblogged this from macka-daisy
- outrageouslypoetic reblogged this from oliveyouberrymuch
- litismp likes this
- yayfortacos reblogged this from its-lovers-final-breath
- soul-ly-alone likes this
- soul-ly-alone reblogged this from smilesstitchedon
- to-the-moon-and-backkkkk reblogged this from shorina
- annie901 likes this
- metlantis likes this
- swedensgirl reblogged this from its-lovers-final-breath
- happymel13 likes this
- ilovethatcurlyidiot reblogged this from its-lovers-final-breath
- agrajaglives reblogged this from its-lovers-final-breath
- mountains-of-navaho likes this
- its-lovers-final-breath reblogged this from theburiedlife
- paintedwiththecolorsofthewind reblogged this from andwecallthemmiracles
- paintedwiththecolorsofthewind likes this
- jak3ysm1th reblogged this from theburiedlife
- jak3ysm1th likes this
- dauntnlessx reblogged this from andwecallthemmiracles
- teaschmitt reblogged this from lordytaketheprndl
- teaschmitt likes this
- lordytaketheprndl likes this
- lordytaketheprndl reblogged this from andwecallthemmiracles
- andwecallthemmiracles reblogged this from hellosugarcookie
- walkwithwei likes this
- reluctanttenacity likes this
- reluctanttenacity reblogged this from theartof-happiness
- island0f reblogged this from helainetieu
- its-your-imagination reblogged this from hellosugarcookie
- bexbabe1298 reblogged this from xmystery30x
- xmystery30x reblogged this from hellosugarcookie
- piercemysilicone reblogged this from hellosugarcookie
- legally-awkward reblogged this from hellosugarcookie
- midsummernightmares reblogged this from hellosugarcookie
- midsummernightmares likes this
- originalbookwormninja likes this
- niaface14 likes this
- vishmilak likes this