A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, he wordlessly picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.
The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.
The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full.. The students responded with a unanimous ‘yes.’
The professor then produced two Beers from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar effectively filling the empty space between the sand.The students laughed..
‘Now,’ said the professor as the laughter subsided, ‘I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important things—-your family, your children, your health, your friends and your favorite passions—-and if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full. The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house and your car.. The sand is everything else—-the small stuff.
‘If you put the sand into the jar first,’ he continued, ‘there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for life.
If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff you will never have room for the things that are important to you.
Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness.
Spend time with your children. Spend time with your parents. Visit with grandparents. Take your spouse out to dinner. Play another 18. There will always be time to clean the house and mow the lawn.
Take care of the golf balls first—-the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand.
One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the Beer represented. The professor smiled and said, ‘I’m glad you asked.’ The Beer just shows you that no matter how full your life may seem, there’s always room for a couple of Beers with a friend.
via: 10knotes , source: theburiedlife
- therealpatrickbateman likes this
- revvann reblogged this from thatlaurenlady
- merlinfinity reblogged this from israfel-shadowlight
- thatlaurenlady likes this
- thatlaurenlady reblogged this from my-naughty-indiscretions
- supplicationofadeadmanshand reblogged this from dostoyevskyreader
- kurai-kyss reblogged this from idkpotato117
- kurai-kyss likes this
- jessaiya reblogged this from lems88
- kreslit likes this
- rtangko likes this
- idkpotato117 reblogged this from samni-says-hi
- aphronus likes this
- brahmarakshas likes this
- consuelomendez likes this
- ldylzrs reblogged this from dostoyevskyreader
- blanchefordubois likes this
- reallivewired likes this
- dostoyevskyreader reblogged this from bonsoircapitaine
- recovery-times reblogged this from learn-to-live-project
- tinytiffeh likes this
- elephantwithoutbigears reblogged this from dontlethemwin
- show-me-what-loves-about likes this
- pipergirl18 reblogged this from learn-to-live-project
- anamelessnobody reblogged this from learn-to-live-project
- learn-to-live-project reblogged this from dontlethemwin
- undeadsuicider199 reblogged this from jordan-witzicrab
- luceroesmeralda reblogged this from ana-rubio
- my-head-isananimal reblogged this from randomfulness
- ladysm29 reblogged this from loveslave420
- justyouraveragehomeboy reblogged this from narkiss0s
- iamcodymills reblogged this from alexgaskarths-dimples
- iamcodymills likes this
- forgettheprotocol likes this
- praisetheholycheesus reblogged this from lanaxxdelxxrae
- quakess reblogged this from jazminekhan
- lanaxxdelxxrae reblogged this from awe-smashed
- celi-marie likes this
- underclassiero likes this
- reckless-optimismm reblogged this from alexgaskarths-dimples
- jagk-barakkat likes this
- alexgaskarths-dimples reblogged this from dontlethemwin
- israfel-shadowlight reblogged this from dontlethemwin
- dontlethemwin reblogged this from pathofrecovery
- theblacksayian reblogged this from arcadiaxc
- young-naive-reckless likes this
- kalthramis likes this
- msdoood reblogged this from amaroqgirl
- msdoood likes this
- kevlare reblogged this from kevlarmasquerade